A comprehensive introduction to cruising for those looking to take on the role of skipper.
This shore-based course equips you with enough knowledge to navigate around familiar waters by day. A basic knowledge of lights is also included to introduce you to night cruising.
The course is taught over 40 hours with two exam papers. It can be covered as a series of short sessions, as an intensive week-long course (5 days), or by distance learning.
Course topics include:
- the basics of seamanship
- the essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- electronic charts
- position fixing
- plotting a course to steer
- weather forecasting and meteorology
- collision regulations
- construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- emergency and safety procedures including distress calls, use of flares, safety harnesses, life jackets and life rafts
Complete Day Skipper
Ten day combined RYA Day Skipper Practical & Theory course
Perfect for anyone looking to cover all bases in a short time period. The Complete Day Skipper course combines five days in the classroom covering the Day Skipper Theory and five days on the water teaching you all the practical skills you need. This intensive course will give you the confidence in all aspects of boat handling, navigation and crew management. It can also be converted into an International Certificate of Competence, needed to charter in the Mediterranean.
Click here for dates and prices